This is completely anonymous and the data collected will be stored for at least 2 years. These 33 fun facts about Amsterdam will make you want to explore the quirky Dutch capital immediately. These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. Canals of Amsterdam & Facts.
There is a wide variety of houseboats available here that ranges from the simple ones to the concrete ones, which does not require frequent repairs, although these houseboats are repainted every three years as per the law in Amsterdam. The creation of the Amsterdam Canals was a huge project. I didn’t know that… Love the back stories, thanks so much for sharing them and the pictures!Did you know that the famous painter Van Gogh had 1.5 ears, 0.5 was cut off and given to a prostitute?Not so I believe: Van Gogh cut off the whole of one ear and gave it to a cleaning maid at a brothel (not a prostitute). Amsterdam is the most watery city in the world. No wonder in the number one cycling city of the world. Most are residential, but visitors can find houseboat hotels, rentals and even a Built in the Middle Ages, the walls of Amsterdam were meant to defend the city against an attack. As a result, e coli was found there. Surrounded by water, this Dutch capital is perfect for magical canal cruises along endless interesting sights and picturesque houses. Skip to content. Don’t worry, this won’t influence your tour, though, as this is something they only really do late at night. What sets it apart from the rest? She is also a travel correspondent on Traveling on the American Forces Radio Network. Unfortunately I came down with the flu while in Amsterdam and spent the majority of my time sick in bed. People do swim in the canals — illegally or at ‘official unofficial’ spots. Luxe Adventure Traveler was named one of the top travel blogs to watch by the Huffington Post and TripAdvisor, and has been featured by top publications such as National Geographic, CNN, Buzzfeed, and Business Insider. However, it was demolished and reconstructed later because of its poor condition. The beauty of the canals draws many tourists to the city. The walls were torn down in the 19th century, but remains can be seen when cruising the canals.Loved this post? These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and personalisation. We also offer an exclusive range of combination deals.The currency converter is for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as accurate and real time; actual rates may vary. (Those fortifications were built to keep out the Spanish against who the Dutch fought an Interestingly, the city managed didn’t expand much beyond that wall for most of its history. Select a setting for your online experience, you can read more about each individual feature by clicking "More information". Yes and no.

Amsterdam’s heritage is that of a small fishing village located behind a dyke (or dam) on the River Amstel. All to make the city more cleaner, greener and more liveable. Various areas were appointed with a function: the Western Islands were meant for shipyards and shipping companies. You can look at Amsterdam as if it’s one piece of land bisected by lots of canals or, if you tilt your head sideways and squint, you can look at it as a body of water dotted with lots of islands. Approximately every 20 minutes, the Dutch draw bridge opens to let boats pass through.Amsterdam has the equivalent of a HOA for houseboats2500 houseboats line Amsterdam canals and many have been afloat for more than a century. No rights can be derived from the currency converter or its results, currency rates are subject to alteration without notice. The three main canals (Herengracht, Prinsengracht and Keizersgracht), dug in the 17th century during the Dutch Golden Age, form concentric belts around the city, known as the Grachtengordel.
This historic site trails around Dam Square and runs inside of the semi-circle created by Prinsengracht canal. They’ve boosted public transport and bike access while purposefully making it harder to access the city center by car. They’ve also created park and ride spaces outside the city where you can park affordably and take public transport into the city while making parking in the city more expensive. As I passed by the canal cruise boats, I was happy I wasn’t packed in like a sardine and I would bet the audio recording didn’t give nearly as much information as I got.We didn’t do a canal cruise while we were there since it was cold and rainy almost the entire 5 days. How considerate of them! When they were originally dug, they weren’t just for transport but a few of them were for defence as well. Amsterdam canals. Only in the last two hundred years did it expand beyond, with most of the growth only occurring after the second world war. For a while, like most places, the Amsterdam became enamoured with the car. In fact, this one of the top-rated activities in the city currently and you cannot wrap up your Amsterdam tours without enjoying one.