Usually, Hollywood reins in its oaters on the far side of the Mississippi. The Arabian desert is frightening and beautiful.

Frank T. Hopkins (August 11, 1865 – November 5, 1951) was an American professional horseman who at one time performed with the Ringling Brothers Circus.He was supposedly a legendary long-distance rider, who won 400 races, and was recognized by his contemporaries as supporting the preservation of the mustang.. And I heard that Viggo loved the horse so much, he bought him.

This movie shows so much about this particular piece of our past and how we started and what happened to the Native American Indians and to the Mustangs. My family loved this film. One actor I HATE to watch is Kevin Costner. There are children that don't know about these things. The real Hopkins was a first rate liar and there is no reason to present this obviously fabricated story as a true one. 102 out of 132 found this helpful. What I liked about Hidalgo was the bond Frank T. Hopkins had with his horse Hidalgo. The music is enjoyable. Hidalgo is the small, mixed breed horse that Hopkins rides and is a metaphor for Hopkins himself who is a half-breed born to a Lakota Indian woman, but has hid it from most everyone.

Was this review helpful? Two very different men thrown together by a world in turmoil are forced to flee across the Atlas mountains. He is a half-breed, part Native American and part white. Which is fair enough considering it does not look like there is all that much desert terrain in the United States. "Hidalgo" not only does this; but it does so easily, and unobtrusivesly, with the sense that the lead actor (Vigo Mortensen) is the vehicle for an ongoing, and interesting, story ... and what a story it is! Another actor who rides is Robert Duvall, he is wonderful to watch in Lonesome Dove as is Tommy Lee Jones. The Sheik puts his claim to the test, pitting the American cowboy and his mustang, Hidalgo, against the world's greatest Arabian horses and Bedouin riders--some of whom are determined to prevent a foreigner from finishing the race. I hope that people will not listen to the critics and will give this movie a chance for success. 51 out of 68 found this helpful. However, Hidalgo is unable to stand up and Hopkins is dying of thirst. The picture talks upon Frank Hopkins (Viggo Mortensen) a real cowboy who participated with his horse called ¨Hidalgo¨ in an extraordinary racehorse : ¨ Oceans of fire¨, a 3.000 mile survival race across the risky Arabian desert . I hope that people will not listen to the critics and will give this movie a chance for success. Reminds me of the times years ago when films were of the type you could take your kids to. The actor advocates for the welfare of wild Mustang and has published a book of horse photographs which he has titled The Horse is Good. A great action/adventure movie! Cowhand Glenn Ford traveled to Brazil to deliver Brahma bulls in William Castle's "The Americano" (1955), while drunken outlaw Lee Van Cleef pursued kung fu master Lieh Lo to China in a search for hidden treasure in Anthony M. Dawson's "The Stranger and the Gunfighter" (1976). Was this review helpful? Hopkins manages to overpower the men and finally kills Katib. How sad is that? The film grossed approximately $18,829,435 on its opening weekend, peaking at #3 behind For Frank, the Ocean of Fire becomes not only a matter of pride and honor, but a race for his very survival as he and his horse attempt the impossible.Frank T. Hopkins, a cowboy working in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show is troubled by the events he saw at Wounded Knee and by the way the Indians are treated in the show. Here's an "epic" movie that reminded me of those that were made in the mid 1960s such as Dr. Zhivago and Lawrence Of Arabia.
Interesting to note that Omar Sharif was in this modern-day movie and Dr. Zhivago. Jan 12, 2018 - Viggo Mortensen bought TJ (the horse who played Hidalgo in the movie) after filming was done. He had worked with horses in his films and went on to buy three of them. In 1890, a down-and-out cowboy and his horse travel to Arabia to compete in a deadly cross desert horse race.Held yearly for centuries, the Ocean of Fire--a 3,000 mile survival race across the Arabian desert--was a challenge restricted to the finest Arabian horses ever bred, the purest and noblest lines, owned by the greatest royal families. 4 out of 4 found this helpful. The only problem is the Liberal bias in here, which is brutal. I thought it could have cut a few scenes here and there, but all in all it was very entertaining. Omar Sharif co-stars as the sheik. (Imagine framing the story as Hopkins telling his story at Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show and how that could have feed into the internal conflict). Was this review helpful? Was this review helpful? 9 out of 10 found this helpful. I've seen Hidalgo twice and will go again (and again) and I will buy the DVD.

Its nice to see a movie like this made with care. You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. John Halder, a German literature professor in the 1930s, is initially reluctant to accept the ideas of the Nazi Party. The picture talks upon Frank Hopkins (Viggo Mortensen) a real cowboy who participated with his horse called ¨Hidalgo¨ in an extraordinary racehorse : ¨ Oceans of fire¨, a 3.000 mile survival race across the risky Arabian desert. 5 out of 5 found this helpful. It exceeded expectations and was a good movie to me.

The Black Stallion, 1979. It doesn't matter if Frank Hopkins did these things or not. In addition to the grueling conditions, prevailing animosity and contempt for a Christian "To complicate matters, Sheikh Riyadh has promised his daughter, Jazira, his only surviving child, in marriage to the prince riding the Sheikh's horse Al-Hattal, should he win. In 1890, a wealthy sheik invited an American, Frank T. Hopkins, and his horse to enter the race for the first time.

101 out of 125 found this helpful. Hopkins manages to rescue Jazira, along with the journal, and kills Aziz.