A memory that most Celtic supporters will long since have drowned out.The reality was that at that time Celtic fans expected to be eliminated from Europe early.The competitions included a far smaller pool of teams back then so your chances of getting someone good early and therefore being eliminated before the festive season was far higher. That wouldn’t last long. He’d even played for Sampdoria for two season, leaving in the summer of 1984 just as Souness was coming through the door at the Genoa based club.Souness had been head hunted by the then Rangers chairman David Holmes. And just when you thought the previously unparalleled Celtic spending spree was over the transfer record fee was broken again, indeed it was smashed when £1.5 million was spent on alleged ‘wing wizard’ Stuart Slater from West Ham.
Whilst looking into the club’s running he discovered there was no actual long term business plan in place. I wouldn’t tell anyone.The match itself was pretty glorious from a Celtic perspective.Even with a beret wearing, badge covered standard away fan lunatic sitting beside us insisting everyone sit down for the entire game the joy was unbridled. Brady’s appointment was peculiar for Celtic in the sense he had no previous ties to the club as a player, something which had never happened before. Tony topped that off by going on to punch Craig Levein on the jaw in the box while helping to defend a set-piece which led to a sending off and gifting Hearts a penalty and all this in the space of 7 minutes to.Thankfully for once Packie Bonner’s life long tactic of always diving to his right at spot kicks paid off and he was able to save John Robertson’s penalty and spare big Tony’s blushes.Cascarino’s second goal came the following week at Airdrie where he showed genuine skill to turn and score from the edge of the box.

I suppose.Anyway next time in our ‘The Dark Day’s’ series we’ll take a look at the second season and the eventual demise of the short lived Brady era.
Celtic F.C. It was one of those awful nights when anything that can go wrong does go wrong; and when I wasn’t giving the ball away, I was tripping over myself. When you throw in the captures of goalkeeper Gordon Marshall and Albanian internationalist Rudi Vata soon after Celtic blew £5 million in the transfer window that summer.An incredible sum by a Scottish club outwith Govan for that time.However the investment would ultimately prove to be poor and would hamstring the club for seasons to come.Celtic actually started the season in spectacular fashion, emerging as victors from a 4-3 goal-fest at Tannadice against Dundee Utd.That was soon followed by an away thumping of Dunfermline Athletic and a home 4-1 dismantling of Falkirk.On a sunny day Celtic played a lovely passing game and Gillespie looked a class act at the back. Brady was at the peak of his Arsenal form by now, as shown by one of his best goals for Arsenal; having dispossessed He was the most talented player in what was then a promising young Arsenal side, which was looking to consistently challenge for honours such as the Brady spent two seasons with Juventus, wearing the Brady made his debut for Ireland on 30 October 1974, in a 3–0 win against the Brady would have no greater success with Brighton, departing following a disagreement over the way the club was being run;He rejoined Arsenal in July 1996, as Head of Youth Development and Academy Director. We were hammered 5-1 and the fans had a real go as we walked from the pitch.

Brady’s teams liked to pass and to attack.

He was upended by Peter Huistra on the edge of the box and the Dutchman should have seen red as the last man but Jim McLuskey – still clearly smarting from revelations that the Celtic Supporters Association had paid a PI to keep tabs on him in the lead up to the previous season’s League Cup final – predictably decided otherwise and merely brandished a yellow instead.Soon after Mark Hateley rounded Pat Bonner to put the light blues ahead and then added a second early in the second half.As I walked back to my Nana’s house in Riddrie with my father and uncle in tow on that sweltering day it dawned on us that the Brady revolution was merely a false dawn and that Tony Cascarino was a flop.Celtic lost 3 out of their next 18 league games, drawing 7 in the process.The title challenge was effectively put to bed before Christmas but believe it or not some of the football wasn’t that bad.We put Hearts (having their best season since the 85/86 campaign culminated in final day heart break.)

Such head hunting did not occur at Celtic in regards to Brady. Celtic scored 88 times, beaten only by Rangers in the goals for column and lost only 8 times over a mammoth 44 game term. Gerry Creaney rifled in a second early in the second and that was all she wrote. It was swallowed up into history by the turmoil which would usurp the club as the old board desperately held onto power through Celtic’s darkest times in the then seasons ahead.