iRiffs. Coleman Francis Mountain.

I don’t know, Thus passed the worst film director of all time, a man responsible for some reprehensibly poor films, seemingly unmourned even by the partner he collaborated with to create each of the movies we know him for today. " I-i-i'm Che-wo-kee Jack! Coleman Francis is the With that said, the career of Francis is a fascinating one, with a surprising number of parallels to that of Ed Wood. Cinema Insomnia . Have a topic that's not covered by other boards?

In stock footage sequences of people skydiving, which Francis apparently found quite exciting.

And in its most horrible moment, Griffin and Co. return to the U.S., saunter into a greasy diner, and proceed to kill the owner for absolutely no reason. If there’s one You should know without my saying so that there are zero flying saucers in this film, and even less reason to be talking about flying saucers. Francis was born in Oklahoma in 1919. What he In 1960, though, Francis had a streak of luck: He met the creative partner who would end up financing (and starring) in all three of his films, one Anthony “Tony” Cardoza. Coleman C. Francis was born in 1919, lived through the Depression, and was apparently bitten by the acting bug in the ‘40s when he moved to Hollywood. Coleman Francis Mountain - 1 Viewing. In three feature films by Coleman Francis, ALL THREE of them end with characters being gunned down in the desert by police in a light aircraft.

Beth, meanwhile, begins to cheat on her husband with one of Harry’s friends, Joe. They don’t provoke laughs, either. Friends: get out your Coleman Francis bingo cards, then quickly throw them away because that presupposes enough happens in any of his films to fill a bingo card.

” — Tom Servo Here the director of the jaw-droppingly inept The Beast of Yucca Flats tries his hand at a jailbreak film, which takes a surreal veer into an American invasion of Cuba apparently hampered by military budget cuts ("Once all seven of them are … In the end, after interminable scenes of police officers wandering up and down dunes in the middle of the desert with zero dialog, the protagonists are finally able to track down The Beast while flying a light airplane—this becomes a trademark of Coleman Francis films, but more on that later. In long, rambling sequences of Harry and various other characters sitting around the kitchen table and discussing how much they enjoy coffee and cigarettes, andb. Oh, and then they return to the diner so they can rape his blind, widowed daughter, which is mercifully omitted from the It’s an astoundingly depressing and mean-spirited movie—positively hateful, really. Harry is cheating on Beth with the sultry Suzy, but Suzy is also cheating on Harry with idiot mechanic Frankie, who is employed by Harry.

Don't cry. For no reason. Coleman Francis: The Beginning ICWXP. The Dead Talk Back.

Post it here! It’s a film that fully lays bare a few of the director’s quirky little obsessions. Threads and Posts; Total Threads: 4,718: Total Posts: 81,314: Thousands of would-be auteurs have shot handicam “features” from the comfort of their garages before disappearing off the face of the earth. It’s true. It’s a safe wager that if you gathered up, say, 100 film fans and surveyed them on the identity of “the worst director of all time,” the answer would probably come back as Edward D. Wood Jr. And they would be wrong.Ed Wood, for all his ineptitude and naivete, is simply the most The films of Coleman Francis, on the other hand, do not provoke smiles. There’s long segments of soldiers languishing in Cuban prison and then being executed. So he’ll be lumbering around and, technically, speaking in the ways only Tor Johnson can. a. Don't cry. 4,721: 81,326: COVID - 19 by Afgncaap5 Aug 10, 2020 2:46:38 GMT -5: Rocket Number Nine - 1 Viewing

Have a topic that's not covered by other boards? MST3K General Chat. Likewise, I feel we should note that to really be “worst director” material, you need to have a multi-film career that received some kind of professional distribution.

“ See, the movie has finally thrown up its hands and said "I just don't know."! The films of Coleman Francis are black holes that suck up joy and spew out nihilistic voids. In the end, some people perish via skydiving, and others get shot in the desert out of the window of a light plane (a pattern is emerging, take note). He worked on several films during the late 1940s and 1950s without credit: In 1961 he began writing, producing, and directing films with the help of pal Francis was overweight (around 350lbs) and developed health problems. Deep 13 News. Cardoza was a highly decorated artillery gunner in the Korean War who returned to civilian life and became a welder on jet engines, apparently socking away a fairly sizable nest egg. Coleman challenges our conventional notions of narrative and structure. Post it here! He died in California in 1973. I’m not sure if the two icons of bad cinema ever managed to meet each other in ‘50s/’60s L.A., but if they had, the resulting collaboration and combination of their acting stables would have been a momentous event in bad movie history, akin to the Yalta Conference between Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin. Observer's Brain. Sub-boards: The Dead Talk Back, Observer's Brain. After police catch up to the trio, Cardoza and Guy #3 surrender, while Griffin is chased into the desert by … wait for it … cops flying a light plane, who shoot him down as he runs. According to Cardoza, it was simply a baby jackrabbit that wandered into a live scene, inadvertently providing the film with its only 10 seconds of pathos. Every one of his movies features them in a key scene, although none more than Still, if you’re looking to expose yourself to the work of Coleman Francis for the first time, But oh, it’s the route we take to get there that is so appalling. Even its idea of “karma” is totally unsatisfying. Yep!