Fritz was quiet.

Search for: Ron Kovic’s Convention speech. "He was just a human being and he had every right to live, just as much as I did."

Kovic's speech that day was interrupted by a bomb threat and the auditorium was cleared.

This biography profiles his childhood, ... Kovic also served as a speaker at the Democratic National Convention.

Eager to fight for his country, he joined the Marine Corps and eventually volunteered to go to Vietnam. Kovic describes his transformation from a gung-ho soldier into an earnest dissenter, the catharsis and pain of writing his book, and his star turn at the 1976 Democratic National Convention.

Which no one ever heard, because the networks had stopped filming in 1972. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Democratic_National_Convention

He is an inspiration to the youth and is being seen as an idol by many war fighters and survivors.

That pain only went away when he wrote his book, but revisiting his experiences in print wasn't easy; he tells Studs that he nearly broke down and stopped writing until he saw an episode of the Mike Douglas Show that spoke to him.

Which no one ever heard, because the networks had stopped filming in 1972. Which no one ever heard, because the networks had stopped filming in 1972.

TVTV's 1972 documentary "Four More Years," an in depth look at the Republican National Convention.

John Glenn and Barbara Jordan gave the keynote addresses.

This was Kovic's realization while recovering in the hospital across from a North Vietnamese soldier, his former enemy. I have been given the opportunity to move through that dark night of the soul to a new shore, to gain an understanding, a knowledge, and entirely different vision. Before the end of the war in Vietnam was declared on April 30, 1975, Kovic became one of the best-known peace activists among the Vietnam veterans, and was arrested 12 times for political protesting. It was the first independently produced program to ever be shown on television, and is …

"I had only hoped and dreamed that some day I could reach such great numbers with my message," Kovic says about speaking at the 1976 Democratic National Convention to symbolically nominate the draft resister Fritz Efaw for vice president.Mary Ann Vecchio kneels over the body of fellow student Jeffrey Miller, who was killed by Ohio National Guard troops during an antiwar demonstration at Kent State University.

He was first deployed there in 1965. The day Baghdad fell, Ron Kovic was back in the Veterans Affairs hospital. "I know that the people of this country want to face up to the truth of that war and what happened at Kent State," Kovic says, as he passionately espouses his belief that the U.S. can become a better place.
In July of 1977, Kovic recorded an interview with Studs Terkel for Studs's radio show on WFMT, WTTW's sister station. (They’d already wrecked the candidacy of WWII veteran Edmund Muskie.

... ‘Born on the Fourth of July’ in 1976. ... ‘Born on the Fourth of July’ in 1976. Kovic describes his transformation from a gung-ho soldier into an earnest dissenter, the catharsis and pain of writing his book, and his star turn at the 1976 Democratic National Convention. "I lived with a torment and nightmarish pain that is hard to describe," Kovic remembers. Ron Kovic’s Convention speech. (They’d already wrecked the candidacy of WWII veteran Edmund Muskie. ) I now believe I have suffered for a reason and in many ways I have found that reason in my commitment to peace and nonviolence.
His first arrest was during an In 1974, Kovic led a group of disabled Vietnam War veterans in wheelchairs on a 17-day On January 20, 2008, Kovic observed the 40th anniversary of his having been shot and paralyzed in the Vietnam War. Kovic started grabbing every famous politician in sight. My life has been a blessing in disguise, even with the pain and great difficulty that my physical disability continues to bring. From then on, he began to have doubts about the war, and eventually became one of its most visible protesters. That changed with the shootings at Kent State, as did his feelings about anti-war protesters.

This was just as Kovic was starting out as an activist, long before Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: He attended his first peace demonstration soon after the Kent State shootings in May 1970, and gave his first speech against the war at Levittown Memorial High School in Levittown, Long Island, New York that same spring. The 1976 Democratic National Convention met at Madison Square Garden in New York City, from July 12 to July 15, 1976.The assembled United States Democratic Party delegates at the convention nominated former Governor Jimmy Carter of Georgia for president and Senator Walter Mondale of Minnesota for vice president. Kovic, in March 2005, said: "The scar will always be there, a living reminder of that war, but it has also become something beautiful now, something of faith and hope and love. Fritz Efaw hugs Ron Kovic, after his friend seconded the nomination of Efaw for Vice-President at the fourth session of the Democratic National Convention …

(They’d already wrecked the candidacy of WWII veteran Now, thanks to Studs Terkel’s chat with Hunter S. Thompson, The rest of the discussion is worth listening to, especially the conversation about “objective journalism.”Many thanks to the vets who corrected my initial mistaken impression that this was the Democratic Convention.

... 1972 election, Democratic Convention… Democratic Convention / Events / Carter Speech / Reaction #44403 ABC Evening News for Friday, Jul 16, 1976 View other clips in this broadcast → Material supplied by VTNA may be used for educational analysis or research only. This was just as Kovic was starting out as an activist, long before Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Ron Kovic is a veteran of the Vietnam War and anti-war activist.

In early 1968, he was severely wounded, leading to paralysis and the need for a wheelchair. Photo: John Filo/Getty Images “I’d like you to meet my friend Fritz Efaw,” he shouted.