Annual event involving vintage cars and motorbikes climbing a well known steep hill in North Yorkshire.

If you live near Pickering or Kirbymoorside you have a relatively easy flat journey to Rosedale.

Once or twice I’ve thought ‘that wasn’t too bad’ most of the time it’s a real grind but yesterday i made the mistake of going too hard at the bottom (against my own advice!) It’s well sign posted and takes you into the back of Rosedale village via the church. The first and most obvious act of cowardice in Tour de France 2014 stage one will happen in Wharfedale, when the peloton sweeps over the bridge at Kettlewell. Service is friendly and welcoming with a dollop of humour. Almost 3000 people were employed to work in the ironstone mines (fewer than 300 live there today) and you can see the ruins of some of the houses they lived in on the walk.You walk along the line until you pick up a sign for the Dale Head Farm and follow the path down into the valley. It's been used in the past for competitive hill-climb events. Maggie runs the Dale Head Farm Tea Garden, and halfway round the walk, we were ready for a cold drink. I don’t mind admitting that I used a 29 rear sprocket on this climb with a compact on the front, Rob went up in 39×23 I think, but he is a Premier Calendar rider, and even he found it hard, which is quite reassuring for us average clubmen. Alternatively you could go a longer route via the picturesque village of Hutton le Hole and descend the Chimney before turning back up to climb it, not recommended!This is the one, the mythical beast that is ‘the Chimney’ or Chimley as Dave prefers to call it. The maximum gradient is an eye watering 33 per cent and the average is far from forgiving at 13 per cent. You gain 175 heightmeters, so the average gradient is 11.9 %. The tarmac road approaching the pass is one of the steepest, toughest and most spectacular finishing climbs in Europe, with a gradient of 33%. If you are feeling good at this point that’s great, if not oh dear! He had started his walk at the Lion Inn and was walking to Chimney Bank, down into Rosedale Abbey, through the village, up the other bank and along the track I'd walked that morning, continuing all the way around the top of the dale, before returning to the Lion Inn. It’s known locally by cyclists as “The Chain Breaker”.We walked this route earlier this week with some friends, and it was a reminder what a great walk it is. You are then faced almost immediately with a left hand hairpin, swing to the right hand side of the road here if traffic allows as it will smooth the gradient out a little. Try to enjoy the moment as you make your way up towards the warning sign at the top.This is not a descent where you can let the brakes off.

It took us 5 hours, but that was allowing time for the all-important café stops. Once you are past the steepest section the remaining bit seems quite flat even though it’s probably nigh on 15%. At the top you cross a lane and dip down through a forest eventually coming out at a farm leading up to the old ironworks railway line. Ironically, there’s no abbey in the village of Rosedale Abbey. At this point any self-respecting cyclist turns right up Cam Gill Road for the brutal masterpiece known to cyclists as Park Rash (bit.ly/1nmoTjU), a climb of 303m in little more than 2km.

Any pictures that you see of it will not do it justice but if, as Sean Kelly says, ‘you measure your effort’ and have plenty of low gears available it is within the compass of the average club rider, and I am very average indeed. The tarmacked highway, shares the title of steepest road in England (the other is Hardknott Pass in Cumbria).

We skipped breakfast so we could justify a slab of cake (the Black Forest Roulade was wonderful) and a coffee to set us up for the day.The walk starts across the fields and winds along the river, then climbs up the side of the valley with lovely views.

Rosedale Chimney is a mountain pass at an elevation of 312m (1,023ft) above the sea level, located in the centre of the North York Moors national park in North Yorkshire, England. It runs down the side of Rosedale with wonderful views and alongside the ruins of the old roasting kilns.

The drive is 0.6 miles long and descends 571ft in that time, from 1030ft at Chimney Bank to 449ft in Rosedale Abbey. I also did the other version of Rosedale Chimney from south to north.Rosedale Chimney was used as the venue for the national hill climb championship in 1987. If this section went on any further it would get really critical but it eases to about 15% as you get towards the old mine workings on your right and now you know you’ve conquered it. No need to register, buy now! The gradient is greater than 1 in 3 or 33% in part. 1.34 km ride with 181 m of climbing, average grade of 13.5 %. If you have people in your party who are less keen or able to walk this type of distance, we’d suggest they explore Rosedale village and then drive up to Dale Head Farm to meet you. On the first weekend in September a local vintage car club run their vehicles up the hill - some of the less powerful ones do struggle with the gradient which is said to exceed 1 in 3. Check it out! Find the perfect rosedale chimney stock photo. If you have to put a foot down on the steepest part you’ll never get going again.Fantastic views from the valley in the lead up and from the summit itself, Rosedale Chimney showcases some of the best vistas Yorkshire has to offer.Simon Warren talks you through how to conquer the gruelling Rosedale Chimney, or Chimney Bank, in North Yorkshire Rosedale Chimney / Chimney Bank is a short and very steep climb from the village of Rosedale Abbey in the North York Moors.