"We took him to the finals to guide the players," coach Adegboye Onigbinde explained.

Re: Taribo West.

Following successful trials in early 1993, West joined French side In June 1997, West was transferred to Italian side In the 2000 winter transfer window, West switched to Internazionale's crosstown rivals On 24 January 2003, it was announced that West will join the reigning FR Yugoslavia champions In August 2004, West signed a one-year contract with Qatari club In January 2007, West was close to signing with Croatian club In February 2008, West reportedly claimed to be joining In January 2004, West suffered an injury during the team's training session that ruled him out of the Although he lacked pace, West was known for his tackling ability as a defender.In 2010, it was reported that West and other Nigerian internationals, such as He is best remembered for his various unusual and colourful hairstyles. Taribo West’s lifestyle was just as colourful as the braided beads in his hair, and having God on your side was probably a good move. A three-month loan to Derby County would wind down the clock on his contract with Milan before moving on to the Bundesliga club, Kaiserslautern.Whilst his time in the East Midlands had been successful, helping the club avoid relegation, the visit to South West Germany was much less the case.

To be fair though, the challenge that incurred the wrath of the referee was fairly innocuous and with just eight minutes remaining on the clock and Inter 3-0 up on Lazio, the job was done anyway.Club politics in Italy is often an inscrutable beast, and despite being reasonably successful, West fell foul of a couple of powerful elements at Inter and was shipped out to co-tenants of the San Siro, AC Milan. You may also like In another reality somewhere, Super Eagles legend Taribo West became the greatest defender that the world has ever seen. Soccer Hair.

However, discipline was an undoubted problem for West, who was sent off twice and booked a further six times.The following year saw him have his best campaign yet, as Auxerre did the league-and-cup double before West played every single minute for Nigeria as they claimed a shock gold medal at the 1996 Olympics.His first taste of the World Cup came in 1998, with Nigeria advancing from the group stage but going out in the last 16 after a dismal 4-1 loss to “Our youths copy our footballers, but the players seem to forget that braids embrace a sense of homosexuality in the developing world," he claimed. Footballer turned pastor, Taribo West has revealed why he is the most dreaded soccer star Nigeria has ever produced. Soccer Hair Hair Color Hair Styles Image Football Hair Color Hair Styles Image Football He was never with us. West played a full part in keeping the back door locked, but a further six bookings and two dismissals were less of an aid to the cause.Auxerre continued to prosper and with West now an established member of the team and a key member of the defence, the club achieved the domestic double in France, and in the following summer, he played every minute in Nigeria’s Olympic campaign as they secured the gold medal. We only later found out he was 40.” It was an accusation that West strenuously disputed, asserting that he had always stated his true age. At the time they told so many lies about me because they wanted me out. 1.

Happy Birthday Taribo, you'll always remain in our hearts, for your hair, your ability and the alternate reality where you really were one of the best! "We certainly don’t want that.”In January 2000, West moved across town to AC Milan after being frozen out by Inter, but only played four games before being shown the door. Join Facebook to connect with Taribo West and others you may know. We wish the greatest free transfer the game has ever seen a happy birthday! Now living in Spain, Gary is the author of two books about football and writes for a number of high profile magazines and websites. It could only be described as braids, but with most of his head shaved, and then the braids put up into pigtails. "I am very surprised that people will just wish somebody dead for no reason.

"Especially somebody like Taribo West, a character as colourful as the beads he wore in his hair. At the time they told so many lies about me because they wanted me out. But regardless of how old he said he was, one thing was for sure: West knew how to defend.The 43-year-old had a career that took him all around the world, from his native The controversy over his exact age came long after his playing career had finished, in 2013, when former Partizan Belgrade club president Zarko Zecevic told Serbian newspaper West promptly hit back, though, insisting, "My personal records have been in the hands of Obanta United and the professional league since the 1990s and, all along, I have used my true age.

Avid fans of After a time playing in his native Nigeria, West signed for French club Auxerre in 1993. The Nigerian coach lambasted his attitude and performance for the Super Eagles saying that West cared little for his team-mates or tactical plan, and merely played his own way.