We are pastors.

She was hungry all the time. If I am unwilling to be an advocate, not just for my son and daughter for all black sons and daughters for all sons of daughters of color. That we're raising the kids that were influencing to be an advocate in our life for their peers of color. Anybody on this Earth, I said this is their problem. This is gonna be really really hard. We do live in a country area, so there's a lot of people that say, like the N word. When they see it has been one of our great choices. I was brave enough to stick back in the adoption bond I've had quite a few people tell me that I should not adopt because, as a single woman, I'm kind of forgetting the best case scenario and what I found that as we've got over a hundred and 47 million orphans in the world as we know, it today and so many of them will never even make it past uh infancy if somebody doesn't stand in the gap for them so I made it really clear to the adoption agencies. It was seven more years after that. I'm married to my husband Brandon and we've been married for 24 years and we lived just outside of Austin. so whenever I hear other people that say it, I just ask him. Kid who went from being she's not gonna make it more than two or three months. She has a strong spirit is brave. The welcome they got always believed so much more redemption for everybody else.

She just needed love and medicine. It is and it's kind of three 60 it's. What racism looks like in their teenage culture in the public school culture and then to watch them directly and aggressively call it out. My dad left us when I was five and then some men came and went from our family over the next two years soup section listed my sister and I knew that just further underscored that feeling of not being worth very much. We are straight. We bring you the latest headlines and expert tips on money, health and parenting. She grabbed my pinky and she went hello my block and that means hello White mama, let's do it together. Why is it something about us and I just sat there in front of her and cried my eyes out and I said, Oh, no, you are beautiful and you are important and you are equal. But still, every time my eight year old lifts, her arms up pick her up because I never want her to know that feeling of people not wanting to touch your thinking she's contagious and so you know if I have to carry her to College in a snug e sob. If somebody really Anybody from the first world country doesn't stand in the gap she said, but would you be willing to pray about this and I was like nope as I've been praying about this for 30 years sign me up six weeks later, at landed in her village, they put in my arm she's tiny because Mrs really mountain her, she was two and a half years old and she looked up at me, like I'd. She has hiv and she is call her. Why having to look my kid in the eye and assure her that there is nothing wrong with her because that's the message she's getting. We laughed so hard in the trampoline.

That was abused ones, little girl. We're upper Middle class, so we just had the luxury of not having to care. That usually afterwards depends, because I'm an older single mother, but it's it's not just physical healing. I had It find more joy in each day and we have dance parties in the House. yet Healing to me was always almost up hyper spiritual and maybe even melodramatic word until I got to be Mrs mom. I think watching her just grab life by the tail has given me the gear. I'm Jen Hatmaker. One of the moms in the villages visiting died of Aids left behind two and a half year old little girl, her name is missy. Today Show. Didn't have to we're kind of the Center of the bullseye privilege. What am I doing here? I remember one of our earliest conversations with Remy who is incredibly precious. Lisa Harper, a survivor of sexual abuse, never thought she'd get to be a mom. My little girl never acts like an orphan. We are White. She's 12. It was very hard saying how sick she was and not being able to manage that not being able to control whether or not she was giving her meds are not the hardest part was I had to move her from her village to an orphanage and the nannies. This the symptoms of restorative spirit body mind and soul and I feel, like she's led me in that journey. She barely top because their lungs were so filled from the regular basis. I don't even like saying that word it just doesn't feel right. This is not the place to be neutral or silent. I'm the one who really needed the line My name is lisa Harper and to tell stories for a living alright very mediocre books. We entered not just the adoption conversation, but the race conversation, naive inexperienced and ill-equipped. My best friend is actually call me Benham. We did it. If they touched somebody with hiv That they would get transmit to eight and they would die.

She was wearing and she had such a hard life. I literally had a doctor tell me I should not start the adoption process because he said she won't make it all the way through you'll never bring your home to tennessee to watch her just fight and be such a strong kid and now Ray chevy is totally undetectable not a single sign of tuberculosis on her lungs. One really beautiful and even surprising part of our family story is watching our oldest three biological kids also confront what it means to have black siblings.

We laugh all the time. 0:33. "She just needed love and medicine. Please just don't say it around me because I take that very offensively. 2.7m Followers, 2,704 Following, 26.2k Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from TODAY (@todayshow) I'm the one who really needed healing.” Related Videos.