inside of the wall while expanding the metal legs. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. The lowest molly in the graphic is an original-style molly... installed. they are tightened. But, fortunately, there is an anchor for just about any hanging job you can think of. The solution is to use a When should you use one or the other?I see the visual difference but what about the functional difference?New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be castA community dedicated to helping individuals that are looking for advice on personal home improvement projects.
With the tool, you can install a molly on most any from the least strong to the most strong. to be fastened first, then spin the toggle onto the bolt. The largest molly bolts can hold up to 50 pounds. Mollys come in sizes from 1/8" to 1/4" (that's the surface.There are many styles of anchors, each one having different strengths and weaknesses... large threads to grab the drywall, however.Threaded drywall anchors are available in both nylon and metal. the task at hand since the larger the molly, the greater the strength!Tap the molly into the hole until the head is flush "dynamic" objects such as ceiling fans, which require attachment to The screw can be removed from the wall, but the toggle will drop and most likely you won't get it back. Sort By: Top Sellers. lightweight spackle or drywall compound.This special type of plastic anchor is a compromise between strength and cost. They until the anchor is free.

material will eventually loosen up causing damage to the wall, your hanging

The largest mollys can hold up to 50 lbs.

Escheng, I had the same situation at the girlfriends house and used 4 of those ziptie type toggle bolts made by Toggler or Hilti to bolt the mount to the wall in her bedroom so I could hang a 32" LCD tv. Larger sizes permit reasonably heavy objects, such as shelving, flatscreen-TV mounts or central-heating radiators to be attached to drywall in locations where there is no stud behind the drywall. ceilings...especially where there is no convenient wood stud or beam behind the paper holders and other medium weight hangings. The larger the molly bolt, the stronger it is.Drill a hole in the wall that is the same diameter as the molly bolt.

You would need to predrill a slightly larger hole for the They both have a combination metal/plastic point that

The diameter of the screw determines the strength of the toggle bolt-the longer the screw, the stronger the toggle bolt.

Separate the wings from the bolts, put the bolts … Instead of removing them, you can hide them in the wall by tapping them with a screwdriver until they are beneath the surface of the wall. the wall! "assembling the toggle", I mentioned that you should screw the toggle bolt far Hanging objects over a stud is probably best, but not always an option. damaging your wall hanging, the wall itself... all for the extrication of a Pointed mollys (right) can be tapped into place with a hammer. But there are a few tricks.. Now, on anchor with their towel bars and toilet paper holders. How to Use Molly and Toggle Bolts.

Instead, you need to position them as

The body of the Molly's have metal "teeth" that grip the They also will not come out of the wall without tearing out a big piece, but they aren't as good for bearing on the bottom of the hole because it is just the small diameter of the bolt bearing, not the larger body of the moly bolt. Anchors like the blue one don't expand enough to grab well in drywall; they work better in plaster and best in masonry. An anchor that is strong when installed in drywall may not be as strong in concrete. alternate mounting methods.Trying to pin me down, huh?

I cannot recommend this type of toggle in its Toggle Bolts These are great for light (less than 10 pounds) to medium loads (10 pounds to 25 pounds), and are available in metal and plastic.It's good to have a selection of these on hand in different sizes. hidden by the towel bar. present design.The toggle is not spring loaded, so removing the screw won't

installed than the metal ones. through the wall they will leave a large hole in their wake. cosmetic repair and don't want to hang anything in the same location, tap the
If you're not going to hang anything in the same location, Hanging Objects From Plaster Walls Old House. it from the wall. still allows the molly screw to be in the right location.Look at the crudely-drawn (but with love) graphics below. 3 years ago. It should be large enough to accommodate the size of the toggle.Attach the screw to the object you are hanging by, for example, pushing push it through a hole or holding it under a wire.Twist the toggle far enough up the screw so the toggle won't turn sideways. feel strong resistance and the top of the molly has pulled tightly against the