I certainly didnt expect to come across this Viaduct whilst travelling to Northamptonshire/Rutland borders.

"The Guinness Book of Rail Facts & Feats".

This weeks walk took me to the North West corner of the county where I live and to one of the marvels of the Victorian age, the Welland Viaduct. A major bonus is the views of the incredible Welland Viaduct which spans the valley &, now that Corby Station has reopened, trains once again pass across this magnificent structure

The highlight of the walk is the Welland Viaduct which was built in the 1870's by the Midland Railway.

I noted that (at point 6 on the walk) there is no footpath sign on the track leading towards the private house (although when I looked on google maps streetview one was shown) so I was a bit unsure if I was in the right place. Gets the occasional Steam trainI didn't expect to see this when passing Rutland and I was absolutely amazed!

Guinness, 1979. The route continues beneath the Welland Viaduct to return to the start following the Rutland Round walk.

It did, however, question the height gain in the description, coming in at just over 1,000 feet.I did this walk on 28th July 2013 although I actually started from Shotley (as my wife was visiting people there)so I actually did a bit extra.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of Sorry, there are no tours or activities available to book online for the date(s) you selected. We lengthened this walk slightly and took in many other lovely views around this area. The viaduct is very scenic spanning the valley with so many brick arches.

I was greeted by a real gem of nostalgia in the form of the road sign below: You can make out the viaduct too in this shot.

The high point of the walk is the Welland Viaduct, a 1-km long Victorian structure that spans Seaton Meadows, one of the few unimproved flood meadows in the country.
The Harringworth Viaduct was opene&in 1 878.To construct it, fhree thousandåÄavvies dug clay from the Welland\/alley floor, made twenty million bricks and built the 82-arch three-quarter mile viaduct in little more than two years. The Welland Valley is one of the most rewarding places to walk in an otherwise rather flat region. It's a nature hotspot, with many meadow flowers and plenty of birds, including the majestic red kite. It is high, long and built in beautiful brickwork.

I turned off the main A47 to drive through Harringworth. Please choose a different date.Is this a romantic place or activity that you would suggest for Came upon this viaduct unexpectedly whilst driving in the area, its a wonderful piece of engineering, well worth a look.I had read about this structure and saw it on TV a while ago.

1,275 yd (1.166 km) long with 82 arches - it’s the longest masonry viaduct in the UK . Thanks Nicholas,

Also at the exit from the field by the viaduct in Harringworth there does not appear to be a stile so I thought I would have to climb the gate (which didn't feel too stable).

The walk first hugs the pretty River Welland, then climbs to the ridge to give fine views of the valley.
Well worth seeing. Vertical cracks were fitted with 6mm stitch bars where applicable, and galvanised steel angle brackets were fixed onto either side of joints where the outwards lean exceeded 40 mm.Sources vary on the opening date; some claim that it opened during 1878, the same year as its completion.Marshall, John. The stunning Welland Valley is one of the most rewarding places to walk in Northamptonshire. It is stunning and what made it even better was watching The Flying Scotsman cross it on Sunday.iWe happened to be travelling through a small village in Northamptonshire and spotted in the distance a viaduct that puts the one in the Harry Potter movie to shame. The Ramblers - Britain’s walking charity working to protect and expand the places people love to walk and promote walking for health and pleasure.