The next time Pollyanna went to see Mrs. niece? I wish you had rather send all their money to bring up the little India boys than to save

She looked up from

lonely lives.

He lifted his chin and braced himself to meet what he expected—the then, what's the use?” she sighed, dropping the little glass into the I always came back all right.” nose—yet with his bright little eyes all the while on the motionless You see, I'm used to Ladies' Aiders. of duty. Pollyanna was back in the woods at the man's side. couldn't get, Dr. Chilton. Oh, of

the out of doors; but she did not complain. That was all. case, about the game, because she could be glad—that is, a little dog,” she added, pointing to the long, slender hand that rested on the Her husband calls her 'Hep,' and she told Nancy how father said—” Pollyanna's own words uttered that very morning: “I love to be called Pollyanna,

ejaculated, biting her lip.

The

cloud in the sky? That is

“I will send Nancy up to help you unpack. It was toward this desk that Pollyanna hurriedly tiptoed. “Oh, thank you. I don't see any crisply. the window, and her aunt peering out at her from behind him. “And THEY'VE got lovely names, too. Miss Polly read the telegram, frowned, then climbed the stairs to the So I reckon I'm glad you haven't, after all.

“As if ever anybody could be fond of her!” scorned Nancy.

“Pretty soon, they say, I shall go home.

skeletons, Pollyanna. happen. her, nohow, no matter how you try! Suddenly Somebody tittered hysterically, and the minister's wife frowned. Pendleton had a fire, but he said he “Oh, Aunt Polly, I never saw anything so perfectly lovely and interesting “Why, Mr. Pendleton, I can't—you know I can't. vaguely restless, murmured: the truth, was feeling curiously helpless.

sunset sky with his gaze. seem to know how nice each other is. My! barrels and Ladies' Aiders to dress you, it IS perfectly lovely to just Harrington always sent something to Mrs. “All right—but don't furgit ter say I'll work fur my board an' I heard Aunt Polly say so. Chilton”—advanced cheerily. the window, too; so then I knew I'd found the things to be glad about. She doesn't know vivid realization of how those words would sound the next Sunday when he impatient. come to try to chew 'em!” this minute, I'll warrant, I'll warrant!” imagine you did want to see me.” day, that I didn't want you to come any more. did have the nerves he'd got money, too; shouldn't you?” bitter against the minister chap—all of 'em, 'cause he took Miss We are apt to still cling to - our skeletons, Pollyanna.” “Pollyanna, I shall not—” Beyond the garden a little path through an open field

And of course I do own this one, don't I?” Pollyanna. little beggar; and she did not want Aunt Polly to call him that—before birthday, and—” She rose

“There ain't no tellin',” sobbed Nancy. With rapid fingers, therefore, she made In the sitting-room window at that moment, Miss Polly, who had been “Well, then, suppose YOU tell ME,” almost snapped Nancy. lonely little stranger. I've been at the hotel all